Related Items: Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, December 21, 2017 – Nassau – Governor General Her Excellency Dame Marguerite Pindling (centre), along with Prime Minister, Dr. the Hon. Hubert Minnis (centre left) and Minister of the Environment and Housing the Hon. Romauld Ferreira (centre right), planted a Mango Tree in the Gardens of Government House to commemorate the planting of the 10,000th tree by the Ministry of the Environment, as part of a national Tree Planting Initiative, Wednesday, December 20, 2017.(BIS Photo/Derek Smith)
Kolkata: The Rail Budget presented by acting Union Finance minister Piyush Goyal on Friday has come up as a mixed bag for the ongoing Metro projects in the city. The allocation in some projects has gone up, but the long-length Metro projects have been allocated less.The allocation for the East West Metro has come down from Rs 1,100 crore in 2018 to Rs 905 crore this year. However, the Budget has allocated Rs 10 crore for extension of the EW Metro from Central Park to Haldiram. It is a new project proposed by the state government early in 2018 as an extension of the East West Metro Railway. The move was geared to reduce the traffic pressure on VIP Road. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedA detailed project report (DPR) for the extension was prepared and Kolkata Metro Railway Corporation Limited (KMRCL) that was implementing the EW Metro project approved it, following which the Centre’s nod was sought. The original EW Metro project was from Sector V in Salt Lake to Howrah Maidan. According to the plan, there will be five new Metro stations along VIP Road, namely Baisakhi, Kestopur, Baguiati, Raghunathpur and Haldiram’s. The 6.7 km extension upto Haldiram’s will lead to an additional cost of Rs 1,347 crore. Also Read – Bose & Gandhi: More similar than apart, says Sugata Bose”We have made it clear to the railways that the plan of the extended part of the project has been chalked out in such a way that there will be no trouble with land. If railways follow our proposed plan for the extension then there is no need to acquire land,” a senior official of the state Transport department said. The Budget for another big Metro project from New Garia to Kolkata Airport has also seen a drop of Rs 10 crore in comparison to 2018. Last year, the allocation was Rs 355 crore, which has come down to Rs 345 crore this year. Meanwhile, the allocation for the Joka-BBD Bag Metro project remained the same with Rs 100 crore. The proposed Baranagar-Dakshinsheswar Metro project received a boost with an allotment of Rs 65 crore this year. Not a single penny was allocated for this project in 2018. The allotment for the project from Noapara to Barasat also saw a rise from Rs 187 crore last year to Rs 225 crore.
This story originally appeared on PCMag This hands-on workshop will give you the tools to authentically connect with an increasingly skeptical online audience. Free Workshop | August 28: Get Better Engagement and Build Trust With Customers Now 2 min read Huawei is not getting any love from the Trump administration. FCC Chairman Ajit Pai on Monday proposed eliminating a government subsidy for any U.S. telecom carrier that buys from the Chinese company.The subsidies draw from the Universal Service Fund, an $8.5 billion FCC fund designed to connect low-income areas, schools and libraries to the internet. Pai’s proposal seeks to bar the money from going to equipment suppliers declared a “national security threat.”The chairman’s proposal doesn’t identify Huawei by name. But in a blog post, Pai referenced growing Congressional concerns over “certain Chinese communication equipment providers” posing a national security risk to the U.S.”Hidden ‘back doors’ to our networks in routers, switches — and virtually any other type of telecommunications equipment — can provide an avenue for hostile governments to inject viruses, launch denial-of-service attacks, steal data, and more,” Pai said in a separate statement.In December, 18 lawmakers also sent a letter to the FCC chairman, which raised concerns about “Chinese espionage in general and Huawei’s role in that espionage in particular.”Last week, Pai responded to the lawmakers, saying he shared their concerns. “I intend to take proactive steps to help ensure the integrity of the communications supply chain,” he wrote.Pai’s proposal, which goes up for vote next month, risks limiting U.S. business for both Huawei and another Chinese supplier, ZTE. In addition to selling smartphones, the two companies also develop equipment that can power cellular networks.However, U.S. officials worry that same technology can be used for state-sponsored spying. In 2012, a Congressional committee declared both Huawei and ZTE a security threat over their suspected ties to the Chinese government.Both Huawei and ZTE reject the spying allegations; neither have responded to Pai’s announcement.The proposal comes as AT&T, Verizon and Best Buy have all reportedly stopped selling Huawei phones. In its defense, Huawei has said its phones have been built with the best security practices in mind and use Google’s Android OS. March 27, 2018 Enroll Now for Free