Somerville College has been forced to cancel the proposed Somerville-Jesus Ball following the resignation of their Bursar over the long vacation.Students were informed that given that Jesus College did not have the capacity to hold a Ball and that Somerville only had a temporary replacement for their departed Bursar, the event would have to be postponed until the following year, 2010.A third-year who wished to remain anonymous said, “It’s heart-breaking but I understand why the college has had to make this decision”.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Andy Murray improved his record on clay this year to 10-0 with a 6-4, 6-3 win over 38th-ranked Jeremy Chardy on Wednesday at the Italian Open.The third-seeded Murray had considered withdrawing at the Foro Italico because of fatigue after his perfect start to the clay-court season, but his game showed no signs of wear.Murray committed only 10 unforced errors to Chardy’s 26.In the past two weeks, Murray won his first clay title at the Munich Open, and then beat Rafael Nadal in Sunday’s Madrid Open final for his first Masters trophy on the surface.Murray has never been past the semifinals in Rome and is looking to peak at the French Open, which starts in less than two weeks.Also, 16th-seeded John Isner served 11 aces in a 7-6 (6), 6-4 win over Leonardo Mayer of Argentina; and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez of Spain beat Ukrainian qualifier Alexandr Dolgopolov 6-4, 6-3. Seven-time Rome champion Nadal was playing Turkish qualifier Marsel Ilhan, while Roger Federer was to play Pablo Cuevas of Uruguay.In women’s play, second-seeded Simona Halep breezed past Alison Riske of the United States 6-3, 6-0.
0Shares0000Antonio Conte is a man under pressure after Chelsea’s dramatic dip in form © AFP/File / Glyn KIRKLONDON, United Kingdom, Feb 7 – Antonio Conte won’t be sacked as Chelsea manager in the short term at least after being granted a stay of execution by Roman Abramovich, according to reports on Tuesday.Conte’s future with the troubled Premier League champions was cast into doubt on Monday after a dismal 4-1 defeat against Watford. Fourth-placed Chelsea are languishing 19 points behind leaders Manchester City after a turbulent campaign marred by Conte’s squabble with his club’s hierarchy over their transfer policy.Blues owner Abramovich has never been shy about wielding the axe when his managers under-perform and it was suggested the debacle at Vicarage Road, coming hot on the heels of a wretched home loss to Bournemouth, could prompt Conte’s dismissal.But widespread reports in the British media on Tuesday claimed former Juventus and Italy manager Conte is now expected to remain in charge for Monday’s game against West Bromwich Albion.While there were meetings between various Chelsea board members on Tuesday, it is understood they were non-football related, over other corporate and commercial issues, with the future of the manager not on the agenda.Former Barcelona boss Luis Enrique is among the big names who have been linked with the Chelsea job, but Conte is said to be refusing to contemplate resigning after less than two years in charge at Stamford Bridge.The Italian is believed to have irritated his squad with his demanding training schedule and intense personality.And Conte has now given Chelsea’s players three days off to recover after the Watford defeat.Having publicly complained about Chelsea’s failure to land his top transfer targets this season, Conte risked angering Abramovich last week when he questioned why the club hadn’t given him a vote of confidence amid speculation over his future.Chelsea backed their manager, who still has 18 months of his contract to run, during the January transfer window by bringing in defender Emerson Palmieri from Roma and France forward Olivier Giroud from Arsenal.Meanwhile, Chelsea defender Gary Cahill admits the squad needs to be held accountable for the performance against Watford.“Whatever is decided, the players have to take responsibility. The manager has done an absolutely unbelievable job,” Cahill told the London Evening Standard.“This is the worst I’ve felt for quite a while. Performance-wise, I didn’t recognise us or myself.“It was abysmal. It hurts a lot when you come off after a performance like that.“We just need to keep strong. I’ve been here before at this club – it’s about staying calm.”0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)