The Eibar coach, José Luis MendilibarHe stressed this Friday that his next rival, a Atlético de Madrid with whom they have always lost in Ipurua in Primera, “He has good players, a great goalkeeper, a good coach and also can play like a small team “. Mendilibar, who has appeared at a press conference in the fields Atxabalpe training, stressed that the Cholo Simenone they don’t need “ten times to score a goal”, which makes them “very dangerous”. “If you have to bet, people would bet on them, but we must take advantage of our options to break the negative streak before them, “said the Vizcaíno coach. He sees his team “well mentally”, and believes that “despite the injuries”, your team has “improved as a group” and, “that way, we have more options to win the match. ” Of course, he warns that if Atlético is “ahead on the scoreboard”, it will be “very difficult to overcome the game”. Newcomer Cristóforo will be in the call, since the coach considers that “he is ready to play”. “He is Uruguayan, brave, and quite good with the ball,” Mendilibar said.
Dear Editor,The Caribbean Voice, like many Guyanese, is thrilled that elevators are being installed at the various overpasses on the EBD road, especially since such is critical for the elderly, disabled and sick, to enable them to use the overpass.We now repeat our call for the steps on both sides of the overpass to be completely enclosed, to prevent anyone from jumping off the steps in suicide attempts. Already there has been one such victim. The bottom line is that small, proactive measures like this are the strategies that lead to a gradual decline of suicide.Secondly, TCV lauds those involved in the protests and picketing in front of Mae’s, and applauds the administration’s decision to apologise. However, given the psychological trauma that the child has experienced, compounded by the bullying, we strongly urge the school to not only provide counselling to the child, but to also hold anti-bullying and cultural sensitisation sessions with all students.And, of course, the school’s administration and staff also need cultural sensitivity and emphatic communication training, for obvious reasons.Finally, TCV has noted the use of terms like ‘mentally unsound’, ‘unsound mind’, ‘mentally challenged’ to refer to persons with mental illnesses. We strongly urge that these terms be replaced by “mentally ill” or “suffering from mental illnesses as generally advocated by mental health activists and practitioners”. The fact is that no one who suffers from a physical illness is referred to as physically unsound, unsound body, or physically challenged.Sincerely,The Caribbean Voice
Ullrich criticized the way he had been treated by cycling officials in Germany and Switzerland and the German media. “I feel like a serious criminal, although I have nothing to reproach myself,” he said. “People have made a name for themselves at my cost. Some were 100 percent lies. I wished I had gotten more support from some people, but I am not bitter.” Ullrich has been under investigation for several months in Spain’s “Operation Puerto” scandal, but has not been charged. He has been without a team since being fired by the T-Mobile team last summer. “I have a clear conscience,” Ullrich said during an interview late Monday on Germany’s ARD television. Some German officials said Ullrich wasted an opportunity to deal with the allegations which have tainted his reputation. “Today Jan Ullrich didn’t add anything to clear things up,” said Rudolf Scharping, president of the German Cycling Federation. “This is a finish to a career which everybody wished had ended better.” “With today’s statement he has probably missed his last chance to clear up the matter,” said Thomas Bach, president of Germany’s Olympic and Sports Federation. Ullrich said he was still fit and had received offers from seven teams to race this season, but had decided to move on. “I could have had a team immediately,” Ullrich told a news conference. “But when one door closes, three more open. I’m not going to jump off a bridge. I’m a young man who knows what he wants.” The Spanish probe followed a raid by authorities last April on a Madrid clinic which allegedly provided performance enhancing drugs to 57 top riders. The investigation led to Ullrich, a pre-race favorite, being expelled from last year’s Tour de France – a day he called the “hardest” in his career. “My world broke together a little, honestly,” Ullrich said. “It was a shock I still haven’t completely recovered from. It was an overreaction – it was an unprecedented prejudgment through part of the press and the cycling organizations.” On July 20, he was dismissed by T-Mobile and hasn’t raced since. He was angry at the Swiss Cycling Federation, saying the organization left the impression publicly it was ready to ban him for life. His last cycling license was issued in Switzerland. “I ask myself where this evidence is,” Ullrich said. “For eight months I’ve been asking myself that.” 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! “I am ending my active career,” Ullrich said. “It’s not easy, but you have to listen to the voice inside you that the time is right. It was a good time and I would do it the same way again, even the bad times.” He said he will stay in the sport as a consultant for the Austrian-based Volksbank team. HAMBURG, Germany – Former Tour De France champion Jan Ullrich ended his cycling career Monday and still was defending himself against lingering doping suspicions. The 33-year-old German, who won the Tour in 1997 and was runner-up five times, announced his retirement eight months after being implicated in a Spanish doping scandal.
The prospect of bankruptcy loomed over New Century Financial Corp., as the subprime mortgage lender scrambled Monday to stay afloat after all of its bank lenders cut off funding or informed the company of their intent to halt financing. In a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Irvine-based company said Monday that it received letters from Wall Street lenders, including Bank of America, Goldman Sachs, Morgan Stanley and Citigroup, alleging events of default. The company said there is no guarantee it will receive additional financing. “If the company and its subsidiaries are not able to satisfy their repurchase obligations, one or more of the company’s lenders may seek to liquidate the mortgage loans or other assets,” New Century said in the filing. The company’s stock has plummeted in recent weeks from around $30 a month ago to its close Monday at $1.66 on the New York Stock Exchange. Shares fell $1.55, or 48.3 percent, from the previous close. New Century is the nation’s second-largest subprime lender. It specializes in lending money to prospective homebuyers who have poor credit histories. It does so by using short-term borrowings to finance mortgage loan originations and purchases. But like other subprime lenders, New Century has been having problems obtaining the short-term lending facilities needed to finance mortgages. “The company and its subsidiaries do not have sufficient liquidity to satisfy their outstanding repurchase obligations under the company’s existing financing arrangements,” New Century said in the SEC filing. Last week, the company announced it had stopped accepting all new loan applications, and said its capacity to fund new loans had been substantially limited due to its financing woes. The company also faces a slew of investor lawsuits and an investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California. “That really started the downward spiral,” said Chris Brendler, an analyst with Stifel Nicolaus. “Connect the dots and it looks like it’s a bankruptcy filing.” New Century spokeswoman Laura Oberhelman declined to comment on whether the company was preparing to file for bankruptcy protection, saying such a move remained speculation. Brendler said the prospects of New Century finding a buyer or another means of financing were considerably less favorable than just a few months ago. “This business has been enjoying very liquid markets from the mortgage-backed security industries that have been able to package these loans up and sell them and now they can’t,” he said. “So, even if you save them, what’s the business outlook? That’s the problem.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Svilar, who became the youngest goalkeeper to start a Champions League game aged just 18 years and 52 days, caught the ball but in doing so stepped backwards over his line to gift United the lead.It was a lucky break for the Premier League high-flyers, who, despite dominating possession, had been struggling to create meaningful chances against the Portuguese champions, twice winners of the European Cup.Benfica showed increased urgency after going behind, bringing on forward Jonas for Diogo Goncalves, but they failed to trouble David de Gea in the visitors’ goal.Rashford limped off with about 15 minutes to go, replaced by Anthony Martial, who tested Svilar early following an incisive run into the box.Benfica captain Luisao was sent off in added time after a lunge at United substitute Scott McTominay to compound the home side’s misery.Upbeat United manager Jose Mourinho said his side were in control of the match throughout.“I never felt that we could concede a goal,” he said.” We were very solid defensively. Sometimes I feel to be good defensively is a crime but it is not a crime.– Defensive solidity –Manchester United’s Marcus Rashford (2L) celebrates a goal during their UEFA Champions League match against SL Benfica in Lisbon on Ocotber 18, 2017 © AFP / PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRA“To be good defensively is one step to get results and we have nine points. We are basically I think one point away from qualifying and one victory away from winning the group so we are fine.”He said United had discussed how to put pressure on the young goalkeeper at set-pieces, including putting players around him on corners to chip away at his confidence.Mourinho made four changes to the team that started Saturday’s cagey 0-0 draw with Liverpool in the Premier League, with former Benfica player Victor Lindelof, Daley Blind, Juan Mata and Rashford returning to the side.But it was Benfica who played the more enterprising football in the early stages as the visitors struggled to establish any rhythm and were frequently caught offside as they tried to make inroads.United, unbeaten since they lost the European Super Cup to Real Madrid in early August, have made an impressive start to the season, scoring freely before the weekend’s Anfield stalemate.But defensively the three-time European champions have also been solid, conceding just six goals in 13 games in all competitions.Svilar beat Iker Casillas’s record — the Real Madrid legend made his debut in the competition in 1999 at the age of 18 years and 118 days.United, who did not qualify for the Champions League last season, now have nine points out of nine in Group A and look almost certain to qualify for the knockout stages but Benfica, without a single point, have a mountain to climb.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Benfica’s goalkeeper Mile Svilar became the youngest goalkeeper to start a Champions League game aged just 18 years and 52 days on October 18, 2017 © AFP / PATRICIA DE MELO MOREIRALISBON, Portugal, Oct 18 – Manchester United took a huge stride towards the Champions League knockout stages on Wednesday, seeing off a toothless Benfica 1-0 to make it three wins out of three thanks to a goalkeeping howler.Marcus Rashford broke the deadlock midway through the second half when an inswinging free-kick from the left was carried over his line by teenage goalkeeper Mile Svilar.
1 Aston Villa have completed the signing of Colombia defensive midfielder Carlos Sanchez for roughly £4.5million.The 28-year-old has swapped La Liga side Elche to make the move to the Midlands on a four-year deal.Sanchez featured in all four of Colombia’s World Cup matches this summer and becomes Paul Lambert’s fifth signing following the arrivals of Philippe Senderos, Joe Cole, Kieran Richardson and Aly Cissokho.The Villa boss said: “Carlos is a very experienced professional who played a prominent role in a Colombian team which captured everyone’s imagination at this summer’s World Cup in Brazil. He’s a great coup for Villa.“He does the simple things really well and he’s excellent at spotting the danger, dealing with it and keeping it simple.“His physical strength, too, is something we will benefit from in the middle of the pitch and his role will be a really important one for the team.“We’ve beaten other teams to bring him here to Villa and I’m delighted as we needed someone of his ilk to come in. He’ll be an excellent player for the club.”Sanchez, whose move is subject to international clearance, added: “I’m delighted to be here, it’s something I have always dreamed of and it is very important for me to be here at Aston Villa, not only for me but for my family as well.“It was always my aim to play in this country and in this league and I know Villa well as Juan Pablo (Angel, his compatriot) also played here.“I began to watch Villa games when he came in 2001. He was a goalscorer who was very important to this club and I followed his time here because he was always scoring goals.“Since I was a boy I have always followed English football, particularly teams where Colombians have played.“When I had the chance to come to this club I had no doubts because I know this is a big club in the Premier League.” New Aston Villa midfielder Carlos Sanchez
1 Senzo Meyiwa, the captain and goalkeeper of South Africa’s national football team, has died after being shot in his homeland.The 27-year-old was killed after an altercation at a house in Vosloorus township, near Johannesburg, the South African Police Service (SAPS) said on its Twitter account.A reward of 150,000 rand, around £8,500, had been offered for any information leading to an arrest.A series of tweets from SAPS on Sunday evening read: ”We have to break normal protocol. We can confirm that Bucs keeper Senzo Meyiwa has been shot and sadly declared dead on arrival at hospital.”Info at this stage is that 7 men entered the house. There was an altercation. #SenzoMeyiwa was shot. Suspects fled on foot.”The incident happened at around 20h00, Zamo Section in Vosloorus. Reward of up to R150 000 is on offer 4 any info that can lead to arrest.“Update: there were 7 people inside the house. Two suspects went into the house, one remained outside. The 3 fled on foot after the shooting.”His club, Orlando Pirates said: “The @Orlando_Pirates family has learned with sadness of the untimely death of our number 1 keeper & captain Senzo Meyiwa.”Club chairman Dr Irvin Khoza added: “This is a sad loss to Senzo’s family especially his children, to Orlando Pirates & the nation.”On Saturday, Meyiwa played for the Pirates in a 4-1 win over Ajax Cape Town, while he captained the national side in its four qualifiers for the African Cup of Nations this year.Former Tottenham and Portsmouth midfielder and Ghana international Kevin Prince Boateng tweeted: “TRAGEDY!!!! R.I.P. Senzo Meyiwa. My condolences to his family&friends.”South African cricketer Vernon Philander said on Twitter: “My thoughts and prayers goes out the family of Senzo Meyiwa. May you find the comfort in the Lord during this difficult time. RIP.” Senzo Meyiwa
1 Angel di Maria could be offered an escape route out of Old Trafford this summer as Paris Saint-Germain step up their interest in the winger.The Argentine international has endured a tough first season at Manchester United since joining for a British record fee of £59.7m from Real Madrid in August.The French champions narrowly missed out on signing the 27-year-old attacker last summer and boss Laurent Blanc has identified Di Maria as his top transfer target during the close season.Despite featuring in 26 Premier League matches this term, Di Maria has struggled to reach the performance levels which made United secure the Champions League winner’s services.And now, according to French newspaper Le Parisien, Blanc’s side are in pole position to re-enter the race for the former Benfica star.PSG want Di Maria as a direct replacement for Ezequiel Lavezzi, who could reportedly leave Parc des Princes this summer. Angel di Maria
New England manager Sam Allardyce has contacted the players that flopped at Euro 2016, it has emerged.Allardyce started work as Roy Hodgson’s successor last week and, after settling into his new office at St George’s Park, sent a message to each of the 23 players involved in France.The 61-year-old’s first game in charge of the national side is the World Cup qualifier in Slovakia on September 4, preceded by a week long get together, and he will not be naming his first squad until the end of August.He nevertheless decided to open communications with those who were on duty in the summer, though no indication was given about any individual’s place in Allardyce’s thinking.Those on the standby list and others, who may come into the reckoning under the new regime, were not included.Burnley goalkeeper Tom Heaton, who was Hodgson’s third-choice keeper at the tournament, was among those to be contacted.He faces competition from a fit-again Jack Butland to stay in the England set-up, but was pleased to hear from former Sunderland boss Allardyce.“I just had a brief email to say hello and introduce himself,” said Heaton, who made his England debut from the bench in May’s friendly win over Australia.“I’m sure he’s got an awful lot on but that arrived on Tuesday, which was fantastic. It was just a general email.“There’s nothing really that you do about it (replying). My focus is just on getting myself right and seeing where it takes me.“Having had a taste of it I certainly want more. I have a hunger to step on, get more caps, keep involved. I’ll be putting the work in to do that.“With a new manager coming in you never know what his thoughts are but all I can really do is get my performance right and see where it takes me.” 1 Sam Allardyce: The 61-year-old has been appointed as Roy Hodgson’s successor
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2At first, the American military described what happened as an ambush on a joint U.S.-Iraqi patrol, with a roadside bombing and subsequent firefight killing 15 civilians, eight insurgents and a Marine. The statement said the 15 civilians were killed by the blast, a claim the residents denied. WASHINGTON – President George W. Bush promised on Wednesday that any Marines involved in the alleged murders of Iraqi civilians will be punished. A senior officer said the case could undermine Iraqis’ support for the presence of American troops. “I am troubled by the initial news stories,” Bush said in his first public comments about the deaths of about two dozen civilians at Haditha last January. “I’m mindful that there’s a thorough investigation going on. If in fact laws were broken, there will be punishment.” Military investigators have evidence that points toward unprovoked murders by Marines, a senior defense official said last week. The shootings came after a bomb rocked a military convoy on Nov. 19, killing a Marine. Residents of Haditha said Marines then went into nearby houses and shot members of two families, including a 3-year-old girl. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!